Asian session forex, also known as the Tokyo session forex, is considered the prime time of the day. Though it is frequently ignored as it is not volatile and liquid compared to other significant trading sessions, its unique characteristics tend to attract those who have the knowledge to trade in it.
Market Hours of Tokyo Forex Market
The trading in Asian session starts on Monday at 9:00 and stops at 18:00 and is considered in Japanese Standard Time (JST). Therefore, to keep up with the Asian session, traders in London would need to be up at the early hours of 00:00 (GMT) until 9:00 (GMT) in the morning.
Asian (Tokyo) session market hours
Tokyo forex session opens at 23 GMT or 19 EST. Tokyo session time is from 23-8 GMT or 19-4 EST. Tokyo forex session closes at 8 GMT or 4 EST.
It should also be considered that the market’s opening time can be subjective as forex markets trade 24 hours a day. However, in general, it is believed that the Asian session starts when Tokyo banks start operating because of the huge amount of trades they deal in. Also, the first to start the trade and which are financial centers are Australia, Sydney, and New Zealand.
Traders who want to deal in the Asian session can deal in their appropriate time zones that is 9:00-18:00 (JST) for Asia with Tokyo being its prime market, 00:00-9:00 (GMT) for Europe with London being its prime market and 19:00-4:00 (ET) for the United States with New York being its prime market. However, be aware that these times can change with daylight saving changes. Also, less trading is seen from the crucial centers in Europe and the US as the majority is not working when the Asian session is going on.
Pairs to trade during the Asian session
Forex pairs to trade at night during Asian sessions are USDJPY, AUDUSD, and NZDUSD because of trading news. If you use a range strategy you can trade any major pair. If you use a trend trading strategy the best forex pairs to trade at night are volatile pairs such as AUD/NZD, AUD/JPY, or NZD/JPY.
If you live in Europe or the US and you want to trade during the night you will trade during the Asian session. Learn more what is the best time to trade USDJPY.
Asian session advantages
Due to the low volatility and liquidity seen, the Tokyo session forex sticks to different resistance and support levels. Some of the characteristics are that the liquidity is low, volatility is low, there are clear exit and entry levels, It is good for risk management, and there are breakout opportunities after its closure.
- Liquidity is Low
When the liquidity is low, non-Asian markets such as GBP/USD, EUR/GBP, and EUR/USD are prone not to make big trades outside of the trading ranges noticed.
- Low Volatility
The trade movements can be shorter compared to other markets such as the US or London because the main liquidity is arriving from Asia.
- Clear exits and entry points
Traders are supported with the opportunities to exit or enter the trades because of the stages of resistance and support. A trader can grow his chances of entering a good trade by using this and merging it with the signs from indicators.
- Good for risk management
Traders can monitor their trades better and can study the rewards and risks in-depth in the Asian session because of its still nature. Also, stages of resistance and support are easier to find in the Asian market as they are normally precise and coexist with the trading range.
- Opportunities of breakout after closure
As the closing time of the Asian session and the starting time of the London session clash with each other, it results in more liquidity accessible to the traders, and this often witnesses breakouts in trading ranges.
- Currency Pairs Suitable to Trade
The most suitable Tokyo currency pairs in the session will depend on the respective trader’s strategy. For example, trades will be dealt in Japanese Yen, Australian dollar, Singapore dollar, and the New Zealand dollar when the trader is focusing on volatility, and trades in GBP/USD, EUR/USD, and EUR/GBP will be made when the trader is focusing on less volatility.
Range Trading During the Asian Session
Asian sessions are more eligible to range trading because the resistance and support levels adhere more than US and London sessions. As a result, range trading and breakouts are the most frequently used strategies in the Japan session forex.
- Setting up trade: Looking for signals to sell when the prices come close to resistance with a starting profit set-up near the low end of the range is one method to trade ranges. In addition, oscillators like Stochastic and RBI indicators are used by traders to give sell and buy signals. The Asian session commences in the blue blocks on the chart.
- Entrance point: Traders should sell when prices reach support and buy when prices reach resistance using this plan. The stochastic indicators provide a sell signal as they display the market when it is in buying territory. Thus, an opportunity is provided to the trader to enter a small trade when prices are near resistance.
- Stopping losses: A stop can be laid down above the stage of resistance as this stage is where the prices bounce off.
- Taking Profits: Traders dealing professionally observe for more PIPS in favor when compared to the losses if the trade goes opposite them. This is known as a risk to reward ratio, and its ratio should be at the minimum of 1:1. For example, the trader will go for 80 pips and risk 30 pips, which gives a risk to a reward ratio of 1:2.67 when the market goes from top to bottom.
Range trading is less successful in the London and US sessions when markets are flooded with liquidity. As reflected by the charts, large breakouts are observed in the downside direction before they recover back in the channel. Traders use stops and Limits to continue within the channels.
Breakout Strategies Used in Asian Markets
Take advantage of the sudden activities in the prices when the London session starts at 00:00 GMT (04:00 ET). Traders can foresee breakouts when there is a rush of liquidity.